Re: G4 Powerbook System Fan UBUNTU Feisty

Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 02:28:45PM -0400, Matthew Polashek wrote:
I am running Ubuntu Feistey on a G4 Powerbook 17 1.5 and the processor
fan doesn't seem to kick on.  Any suggestions?

 I am running Debian lenny on a G4 Powerbook 15" 1.6 and the processor
fan kicks quite well.  Propably you would either want to ask on an
Ubuntu list (no idea at all what kernel Feistey is using, for a
start...) or switch over to Debian if you want to stay on this list.
You can download the images from <http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/>.

Try to unload the "therm_adt746x" Kernel module!

I run Debian Etch on a 1.5 Ghz PowerBook (although it is a 12" model)
and made the experience that the hardware manages its thermal conditions
better than the mentioned Linux Kernel module.

Run "modprobe -r therm_adt746x" with root permissions from a Terminal
and see if the fan kicks in earlier. (You may have to uncomment the
according line from the "/etc/modules" file to prevent the module from

good luck,
Andreas