Re: G4 Powerbook System Fan UBUNTU Feisty

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 10:14:14PM +0200, Andreas Schreiner wrote:

> Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> >On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 02:28:45PM -0400, Matthew Polashek wrote:
> >>I am running Ubuntu Feistey on a G4 Powerbook 17 1.5 and the processor
> >>fan doesn't seem to kick on.  Any suggestions?
> > I am running Debian lenny on a G4 Powerbook 15" 1.6 and the processor
> >fan kicks quite well.  Propably you would either want to ask on an
> >Ubuntu list (no idea at all what kernel Feistey is using, for a
> >start...) or switch over to Debian if you want to stay on this list.
> >You can download the images from <http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/>.
>
> Try to unload the "therm_adt746x" Kernel module!
>
> I run Debian Etch on a 1.5 Ghz PowerBook (although it is a 12" model)
> and made the experience that the hardware manages its thermal conditions
> better than the mentioned Linux Kernel module.
>
> Run "modprobe -r therm_adt746x" with root permissions from a Terminal
> and see if the fan kicks in earlier. (You may have to uncomment the
> according line from the "/etc/modules" file to prevent the module from

By default the therm_adt746x module lowers the maximum temparatures. But
you can control this with the module parameter "limit_adjust".

That said I'm not sure if it's wise to increase the maximum
temparatures, because it could damage your hardware on the long run. The
fan on my pb 15" (pb5,8 1,67GHz) does not run (or very low speed) most
of the time. I'm not sure why yours should run significantly hotter.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.