Re: Bug #400919: Bug affecting Kino (and Cinelerra) on PowerPC, any ideas?

On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 06:04:12PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sunday 07 January 2007 16:59, Guido Guenther wrote:
> > The ffmpeg and mplayer packages I provided were based on the packages
> > from Christian Marillat (debian-multimedia.org). I sent all the
> > necessary modifications back to him. I no longer build the packages
> > myself - Christian autobuilds these now like on the other architectures.
> >
> > The ffmpeg binaries and libavcodec libs on debian-multimedia.org are (or
> > at least were the last time I looked at) altivec optimized [1]. Building
> > kino against it should give reasonable performance. Holger, could you
> > try that as a first step? Once we have that we need two versions of
> > ffmeg (altivec optimized and not and select the correct one during
> > runtime) - probably using glibc capabilities like openssl does for i386.
>
> actually it's about kino and ffmpeg in debian-main which should not have
> altivec optimations, because if it does, it doesnt run on all ppc-hardware,
> like my imac g3.
Correct. This is why I asked you to test kino with the altivec optimized
ffmpeg _first_. Once this works we can look into getting this into
Debian (selecting the altivec optmitzed ffmpeg during runtime on G4s).

> Unfortunatly I dont have time to build and test now, as I will leave tomorrow
> and be away from my imac the next weeks :(
Would be nice to know if this works in a few weeks anyways ;)
Cheers,
 -- Guido