Re: quik 7300 Auto of scan range

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 07:48:21AM -0200, Fábio Rabelo wrote:
> On 1/11/06, Hans Ekbrand <hans@sociologi.cjb.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 05:56:32PM -0200, Fábio Rabelo wrote:
> > > But after that, in the first boot within Sarge, my monitor just shows a
> > > msg "scan ou of range" .
> > > The noise from HD sugests the boot is going fine, but I can do anything
> > > from that on .
> >
> > OK. But if quik boots alright, then what good would it be to boot with
> > BootX instead?
> >
> To change quik for bootX

But if the machine boots with quik, what would be gained if it was
booted by BootX instead?

> > One simple test is to press Ctrl-alt-delete. If the box reboots, then
> > it was properly booted.
>
> After all noise in HD stops, the Ctrl+alt+del restarts the machine yes .

So, the booting is working. Then I fail to see how BootX would help.
Wouldn't the machine get to the same final state after the boot anyhow?

> > > I can use bootX in this machine, there are room in HD, but how can I
> > > copy a suitable Kernel to MAC OS partition without a normal boot ?
> >
> > I would use the debian-installer as a rescue system and chroot into
> > the installed system and investigate the problem the monitor. If the
> > box is connected to a network, I would install ssh so one could ssh
> > into it when/if there is no display.
> >
> > If it turns out that quik does not really boot the box (in spite of
> > the sound that you interpreted as a successful boot), then (still
> > within the chroot) mount the MacOS partition and copy the kernel +
> > initrd to that partition for use with BootX.
>
> The Sarge installer is not finished yet, in the first boot the
> installer setup the apt.sources, and then download any update
> available , and then I can install anything I want ( like ssh ) so
> before it  can not do anything .

What I scetched above was a procedure to get into the installed system
(wheter or not the installation was finished).

I assume the installer finished the first stage (since quik was
installed, and the system sounds like it boots correctly).

Start the installation again. When the installer has detected the
hardware, get a shell, mount the partition where debian is installed
and chroot into it.

Did you run base-config during the first stage? If not, do that in the
chroot, so password is set for root.

> The goal is power the machine and never more power off, remove
> keyboard and mouse and use ssh/webmin to manage everything .

Well then you might not even have to resolve the display issue, just
install ssh in the chroot and reboot.

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
Q. What is that strange attachment in this mail?