Re: iMac G5 Bugs and new wiki

Hello Torrance

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 12:48:25PM +1300, Torrance wrote:
> But now I am a little confused: to get a brighter screen, is the issue
> with the "drivers/video/nvidia/nv_backlight.c" property, or with the
> "bl_curve" property?

It's the #define in nv_backlight.c.

> If its the former, then is it safe to play with the value or is this
> best left to you guys?

You can play around with it, it's likely a larger value, but you're on
your own there.

> Yes, I had been playing with this. Unfortunately, I get this error:

> torrance@rebel:~$ sudo fblevel 0
> /dev/pmu: No such file or directory

> When I manually create the folder and run the command again I get this
> error:

How on earth do you think it's a folder? /dev/pmu is a device file which
should be created automatically by udev. I don't know wether your distro
already uses udev.

> torrance@rebel:/dev$ sudo fblevel 0
> ioctl PMU_IOC_SET_BACKLIGHT: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Obviously it can't work.

If your Mac doesn't have a PMU, as I suspect, you have an SMU. In that
case, you have to use the brightness property in /sys/class/backlight/*.
You can "echo -n" values from 0 to 127 (as stated in the max_brightness
property) into it. Something like this should work, altough I'm unable
to test it right now:
  echo -n 50 > /sys/class/backlight/nvidiabl0/brightness

Greets,
Michael

--
Gentoo Linux developer, http://hansmi.ch/, http://forkbomb.ch/