iMac G5 Bugs and new wiki

Hi all,

A few of us iMac G5 users who have recently switched from Ubuntu to Debian (testing) have been writing up a wiki with all the little hacks to get things sorted, and also with those that we still don't know how to fix. The new wiki is here: http://wiki.debian.org/iMacG5

In case anybody knows the answers to our remaining problems, I thought I'd ask them here:

1) Fan control and sound do not work 'out of the box.' We know how to fix these through a simple kernel recompile, but we were wondering if these will be fixed when Etch goes stable?

2) Hibernate does not work. So far, no patches or hacks have allowed us to suspend-to-disk. We are aware that standby (suspend-to-ram) is very unlikely to be able to work, but hibernate should.

3) Switch User Freeze. The option in the Gnome menu that appears when logging out, called "Switch User", results in a total system freeze. The screen becomes a total mess of coloured pixels, and no kill-xserver command saves us. We are forced to hard-reboot.

4) Screen too dim. The default backlight brightness in Debian is noticably dimmer than in MacOS X. So far, we have not been able to work out how to fix this.

5) Screen cannot be turned off. SImilar to above: no command allows us to put the display to sleep, and turn off the backlight. At the moment, the screen goes black but the backlight remains on, resulting in no power saving and potentially damaging the screen.

None of these issues have been filed as bugs; the Debian bug system is too difficult for us newbies to understand as it requires us to know the packages we are filing the bugs under.

Thanks in advance,

Torrance