Re: iMac G5 Bugs and new wiki

Hello Torrance

For the next time, please the “reply to all” functionality in your mail
program.

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 11:09:07AM +1300, Torrance wrote:
> Ben H mentioned he believed the  maximum value is set to a safe value,
> but a little too dim for the  iMac screen. Of course, we are stuck
> with the nv driver since we're  on ppc.

Yes, this code is used right now in drivers/video/nvidia/nv_backlight.c:

#define MAX_LEVEL 0x534

Benh had an idea where the max value might be, but I first need root
access to NVidia hardware to investigate more.

> I've been googling for an hour now and I can find any instructions
> about how to provide a new setting for the "backlight curve". Could
> you please help me?

When the backlight code is enabled, you'll find a bl_curve property in
the /sys tree. As far as I know, there's no userland program to fill it
yet. Getting the correct curves is a rather complex thing, which I'm not
going to explain here, since it involves locating and converting the
correct files in Mac OS X. The default is a linear curve, with the
highest value being the max. value of the graphics chip.

> Also, if the backlight curve is user-configurable, does this mean we
> can also turn off the backlight? ie. could we set it up for the
> display to go to sleep properly?

You can already turn off the backlight with "fblevel 0". Real monitor
sleep is a different thing which I don't know about.

Greets,
Michael

--
Gentoo Linux developer, http://hansmi.ch/, http://forkbomb.ch/