Re: which serious bugs exactly? (Re: if you care about debian on powerpc, please react ...)

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 08:39:26PM -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Johannes Berg <johannes@sipsolutions.net> writes:
>
> > On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 23:11 +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> >
> >> Indeed, but i guess that with etch now soon supporting 2.6.18 kernels, all
> >> apple powerpc hardware will be supported. At least this is one benefit of
> >> apple going over to intel :)
> >
> > Heh :)
> >
> >> Johannes, actually this is a different issue,
> >> [...]
> >
> > Alright, I guess that's what I get for ignoring initramfs and all that
> > for too long :) I always was under the impression that the installer
> > would write those required files to make it work in the installed
> > system.
>
> Well, it's right and wrong. Those modules don't need to be available
> while booting but be loaded just after init is being run (I might be
> wrong here) but if I got right there's a problem on 2.6.18 kernel that
> doesn't instruct udev to load them and including them on
> initramfs-tools/modules or /etc/modules is a nice workaround for the
> problem.
>
> Am I wrong?

Indeed, but somewhere in initramfs, there is a place where additional modules
are loaded, and this loads i2c-powermac and therm_pm72 right now, but not the
windfarm modules.

We could do an initramfs hook package which would provide suitable stuff
there, or include it in initramfs proper.

Friendly,

Sven Luther