Re: bug#390432 - still no boot 2.6.18 here

On 10/23/06, Simon Vallet <debian-ppc_user@castalie.org> wrote:
Hi,

> On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 22:00 -0700, Brian Morris wrote:
>
> > i would be more willing to try building my own kernel if i knew
> > better what i could take out (config=n). my only guess that quik
> > will not boot because some people reported earlier with monolithic
> > kernel it would not boot a kernel bigger than 4mb.

quik happily boots a 2.6.18 on a Beige G3 here; you should be able to

i don't have a problem with my beige g3 either, its the earlier power macs
that are still having problems.

get a kernel bigger than 4MB to boot :

on the other hand you may have a point about quik. i don't have
the exact reference for the report so, i don't know, but i do know
there are a listed quik quirks on the linux-ppc pages, so machine dependencies
do create some hassles.

sjv@tloen:~$ uname -a
Linux tloen 2.6.18-sjv1 #1 Sun Sep 24 00:34:53 CEST 2006 ppc GNU/Linux

sjv@tloen:~$ ls -l /boot/vmlinux-2.6.18-sjv1
-rwxr-x---  1 root root 5673578 2006-09-24 00:39 /boot/vmlinux-2.6.18-sjv1

you build this kernel ? how, can you tell please if you did not use stock kernel
what was that about. are you using initrd , or is this a monolithic, eg self-
contained image. ( i know i just said it didn't matter but i can use all
the info i can get, and also i might use my beige to build/ test kernel, even
though my target is the "g2" class).

brian

Simon