Re: call for testers: powerpc graphical debian installer

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 01:40:13AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:

> It seems we finally got most issues with the graphical installer on powerpc
> sorted out, thanks to all those who tested, and to Attilio who provided the
> patch. I have done a build which you can find at :
>
>   http://people.debian.org/~luther/g-i/
>
> (Well, in an hour or so, once i finish uploading it).
>
> We would like people to test the gtk-miniiso images, both on 32bit and 64bit
> machines, and would probably be most interested in tests from those not using
> radeon graphic cards, like those having nvidia based powermacs.

I have a February 2005 G4 PowerBook with nVidia graphics chipset.  The
installer fails completely.

If I just type 'install' at the boot prompt the screen goes black after
the kernel messages and remains black with a small line prompt appearing
in the upper left corner at regular intervals.

With 'install video=ofonly' (or whatever the suggested alternative boot
command was) I get a ton of DirectFB error messages that loop quickly.
If it's helpful I can attempt to jot them down.

Here is my hardware info:

cerebus:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep motherboard
motherboard     : PowerBook6,8 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh

cerebus:~$ cat /proc/fb
0 NV32

cerebus:~$ lspci | grep VGA
0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34M [GeForce FX Go5200] (rev a1)

best regards

Diego