Re: Need HowTo to solve Ubuntu Breezy PPC system freeze at login on G5.

On Jul 11, 2006, at 12:44, Charles Plessy wrote:

Le Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 12:31:40PM +0200, Brian Durant a écrit :

What is artsd on Fedora or Suse? Is it KDE specific? Is that the
sound driver? I believe I need to disable the Ubuntu/Debian
(GNOME???) parallel to artsd. If a) is what I need to do, how do I
disable the driver in /etc/modules at boot? I get the idea of booting
into a safe environment, but I only see "linux" and "old" when I
press the tab key at boot in Breezy. Does that mean that I need to
boot from a live CD and then mount the partition?

Dear Brian,

artsd is a sound daemon, a program which intercalates between the sound
driver and the end-user applications. That kind of program can not
usually freeze a whole machine.

The sound driver we are talking about is a kernel driver. Its name is
snd_powermac. If it is loaded, you can unload with "rmmod snd_powermac". On debian systems, you can prevent it from being automatically loaded by
adding a sharp sign "#" before its name in the /etc/modules file.

You can edit this file with console text editors, or through a graphical
interface, if you run a live CD and mount the partition.

Good luck,

--
Charles

Yes!!! The problem was apparently the module. I commented the module out of /etc/modules from a live CD and then booted into the system. I was able to login and update the system to the latest packages and kernel in Breezy. I now have a more or less functioning system to boot into!

The question is what I can do to solve the problem with the sound module. I am also experiencing problems with thermal control (even after upgrading the kernel). I have never tried to compile a kernel before and don't know which modules my G5 single (PowerMac 9.1) needs. Is it possible to download a Debian Sarge PPC64 kernel for my Ubuntu system or install it from my Debian Sarge PPC 3.1r2 netinstall CD? I notice that there is no official 2.4 or 2.6 G5 kernel build using g5_defconfig available at:

http://www.ppckernel.org/specialized.php?category=pmac

Weird. Anyway, thanks for all of the help so far. This is the furthest I have gotten to having a fully working Debian based install on my computer.

Brian