Re: ibook + USB hard drive = yaboot failure

Before you start over...

might try typing "man bootstrap" -- it will give some
hint on what tbxi refers to. just in case some one or other
makes an error, it helps to understand a little bit about
what's going on ???

half the reason i am here anyway, the other half to escape
those who would dictate my thinking for me ...

particularly, it is confusing to me why he is supposed to
need *two* little  partitions, one for yaboot, the other for ???
(?driver partitions?)
brian

Chasecreek Systemhouse <chasecreek.systemhouse@gmail.com> wrote:
On 7/11/06, Michael Hrivnak wrote:

> Specifically, I issued the command "setenv boot-device ud:2,\\:tbxi" in
> openfirmware. It seems that I now have to do that every time I want to boot
> Debian from the USB drive. Even though the variable is persistent, the
> system just won't boot unless I re-issue that command followed by "mac-boot".
> Does anyone know why? If I start the system while holding "option", the USB
> drive does not show up.

The USB drive does not have a "blessed" /dev/sda1 Apple partition;
remake the disk using these instructions:

Using the Apple Recovery CD to correct:
While holding the [Option] key down boot your system; once the system
has booted insert the Apple recovery CD and reboot (or simply reclick
the U-Turn Icon to get it to rescan the boot drives to see the CD.)

Next just reformat your USB /dev/sda hard drive -- make sure to select
the options to recreate the disk labels, etc.

Next, boot off the Debian CD, while the USB drive is on; hen you get
to the parition steps remove all partitions from the USB drive EXCEPT
/dev/sda1 (that is where the "blessed" Apple label resides.)

Create your /dev/sda2 as /boot as ext3, create /dev/sda3 as / (root)
as ext3, and create /dev/sda4 as swap

Finish the install as usual. When you reboot using the Option key the
USB drive will appear -- after about 20 or 30 seconds -- my system is
way slow \= LOL.

PS - MacOS9 will fit into a Zip250 also; just another hint for booting.

HTH/Sx
--
WC (Bill) Jones -- http://youve-reached-the.endoftheinternet.org/