Re: Need HowTo to solve Ubuntu Breezy PPC system freeze at login on G5.

On Jul 11, 2006, at 11:17, Charles Plessy wrote:

Le Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 11:10:00AM +0200, Brian Durant a écrit :

] (*,) Does anyone have a URL for a HowTo to solve the Ubuntu system freeze at login after booting Ubuntu Breezy PPC on a G5 single (PowerMac 9.1) ? I have searched extensively and not found a point by point solution to this
   issue.

I believe it has something to do with the sound drivers, but am unsure. I am
   positive however, that this is a known issue. Newbie alert!
   Cheers,
   Brian

Dear Brian,

If it is a problem with the sound driver :

a) Disable it at boot in /etc/ modules
b) Do not do anything which makes the computer beep before finishing a).
   This includes pressing the tab key.
c) Do a) from a safe rescue environnement, to avoid b)

Conversly, if you want to test if it is a sound driver issue, log in the
console, and do some command completion with tab...

More info on my installation report... (Debian)

Good luck !

--
Charles

Thanks for replying Charles.

I am led to believe this is a sound driver issue that has been experienced in most if not all PPC distros and with everything G5 from iMac G5s to quad G5 systems. That is at least my conclusion after extensive googling, at least.

What is artsd on Fedora or Suse? Is it KDE specific? Is that the sound driver? I believe I need to disable the Ubuntu/Debian (GNOME???) parallel to artsd. If a) is what I need to do, how do I disable the driver in /etc/modules at boot? I get the idea of booting into a safe environment, but I only see "linux" and "old" when I press the tab key at boot in Breezy. Does that mean that I need to boot from a live CD and then mount the partition?

Please remember that I am a newbie.

Cheers,

Brian