Re: Kernel 2.6 on a PegasOS?

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 12:45:15PM +0200, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Quoting Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>:
>
> > Maybe you can investigate the ramdisk ? It is an initramfs-tools, so you can
> > look at it with some cpio magic.
>
> I loaded atkbd, but that didn't help. Found http://www.ppczone.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=561
> which showed that I've missed to load 'i8042'...
>
> I've tried to change the initrd, but absolutly NOTHING helped! I tried to
> put sleep's in there (in the '/init' script), I tried putting '/bin/bash'
> every now and then... Nothing helped. Isn't '/init' executed?
>
> To make i8042 and atkbd load automatically as soon as possible (instead
> after all fsck etc), I put those two modules in the /conf/modules but
> they never loaded...
>

> What initrd image is the kernel actually loading nowadays!? I tried to
> specify the initrd image to use on the boot line (using option 'initrd=...'),
> but that didn't help either... All changes to initrd image I've done and
> since nothing happened, I'm lead to believe that it's loading the wrong
> image. Or doesn't load the image at all... ?
>

> PS. Are you (Sven) responsible for the powerpc kernel image? Could you
>     make sure the i8042/atkbd loads automatically? So that less people
>     upgrading from older kernels get problems?

Well, yes and no.

On new installs, it works just fine, so maybe the best solution for you is to
boot the debian-installer in rescue mode, and regenerate the ramdisk or
something.

Now, do i understand it correctly that :

  1) you used to run a 2.4.27 kernel (i wonder why, this one is no more
  supported since early 2005 or even earlier on the pegasos).

  2) you installed a debian 2.6.x kernel. Was it a 2.6.8 from sarge, or a more
  recent 2.6.1[567] from etch/sid ?

  3) you are using initramfs-tools or yaird for generating the ramdisk (if you
  have 2.6.1[567] that is).

If you replied to these questions (again maybe, sorry, but it is good to
restart from a common ground), i will try my best to solve this issue.

Friendly,

Sven Luther