Re: imac g3 installation problem

In data 27/05/2006 22:37 Rich Johnson ha scritto:

On May 27, 2006, at 3:27 PM, Giulio Canevari wrote:
Before you go shopping take a close look at all the cables, connectors and adapters. For power an extension and/or "Y" cable might come in handy.

I don't think i have got one.

See also http://www.lowendmac.com for indentifying just exactly which model you have. The site also has a fair bit of other useful info.

Another good resource is http://forums.macosxhints.com/

Good links, thank you.

Oh, and before I forget, _some_ of the G3 iMacs can boot from a USB drive or memory stick. This may be your easiest path if yours is one of them. If you have a spare USB drive, it wouldn't hurt to try.

The problem is that with mem stick i'm unable to do an apple bootstrap
partition.

But i have had an idea: can someone create a blank image with dd that
fits into my usb key, partition with mac-fdisk ( of course if it
supports using a file as a device ) as described into debian install
guide [1], compress it to the best ( bzip2 or maybe even better 7zip )
and send it to me?

The command here is:
 dd if=/dev/zero of=image.img count=247296
to create a 126615552 byte image, that is the poor size of my usb key.

Then i'll try putting it to the key always with dd, hfsutils are also
avaible on x86.

[1]
you will need to repartition the stick. On Mac systems, run mac-fdisk
/dev/sda, initialise a
new partition map using the i command, and create a new partition of
type Apple_Bootstrap using
the C command. (Note that the first "partition" will always be the
partition map itself.)

then, if it works, bzip2 -9 image.img or 7za a image.7z image.img

After that following chaper 4.4.2. Copying the files -- the flexible way
i should be able to boot from usb.

Thank you in advance,
--
Giulio Canevari