Re: imac g3 installation problem

On May 28, 2006, at 3:16 AM, Giulio Canevari wrote:

In data 27/05/2006 22:37 Rich Johnson ha scritto:
On May 27, 2006, at 3:27 PM, Giulio Canevari wrote:
Before you go shopping take a close look at all the cables, connectors and adapters. For power an extension and/or "Y" cable might come in handy.

I don't think i have got one.

See also http://www.lowendmac.com for indentifying just exactly which model you have. The site also has a fair bit of other useful info.
Another good resource is http://forums.macosxhints.com/

Good links, thank you.

Oh, and before I forget, _some_ of the G3 iMacs can boot from a USB drive or memory stick. This may be your easiest path if yours is one of them. If you have a spare USB drive, it wouldn't hurt to try.

The problem is that with mem stick i'm unable to do an apple bootstrap
partition.

But i have had an idea: can someone create a blank image with dd that
fits into my usb key, partition with mac-fdisk ( of course if it
supports using a file as a device ) as described into debian install
guide [1], compress it to the best ( bzip2 or maybe even better 7zip )
and send it to me?

The command here is:
 dd if=/dev/zero of=image.img count=247296
to create a 126615552 byte image, that is the poor size of my usb key.

Then i'll try putting it to the key always with dd, hfsutils are also
avaible on x86.

I was thinking that if you could boot from the USB, you could copy _mac OS8_ and utilities to it. Once you're confident that it works, the HD is free for repartitioning and debian installation. BTW, be sure to write down the OF commands that work. You may have to repeatedly enter them.

Of course this all hinges on ability to boot from the USB in the first place. Mac sites and user groups would be the most help here.