Re: The powerpc port should be removed from etch release candidates ...

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 03:25:59PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
> > It should be removed from the actual etch release candidate until the
> > situation improves. The etch release candidate guidelines include a working
> > and well supported d-i port, and this criteria is not fullfilled, so powerpc
> > should be dropped from potential etch release until it is solved.
>
> Surely "working d-i port" doesn't mean that we should drop release
> candidates every time a bug appears.

This is no bug, this is a serious problem in the ressources needed to get the
port working in a timely fashion for the etch release.

Basically, there is no real maintainer anymore, and the d-i team doesn't care.

> Whether it's well-supported depends on the willingness of people to
> help support it.  It sounds as if you are not willing to help, which
> is sad, but is hardly grounds for declaring that nobody will do the
> work.

No, i was kicked out of the d-i project. That is sad. Even so, i was willing
to help, and discovered this not because they told it to me, but because i was
blocked from helping. They had to do it meakly in my back.

> I'm sorry, but I just don't think you're that essential.

Well, i draw a few years of experience of powerpc porter for d-i behind me
now, and given the abysmal situation of d-i contributors, who have melted
since the sarge release like an iceberg in the carribean, that there is a
serious problem here.

I perfectly know what i had to do this past time, and that there is no real
replacement with enough time. I was kicked out, and within the week the d-i
powerpc isos broke and stayed broken until now.

What more proof do you want ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther