popup / zeroconf and im

I work a lot with mac users, we've been trying to send messages over a LAN, they seem to have trouble using a winpopup type client. Instead I've been trying  other options like zeroconf/rendezvous - it appears that rendezvous (apple) has been open sourced but I can find any accurate information as to whether there is a way of connecting linux and  macs over this protocol.

As a short term alternative I've been trying to install skype, although there is a .deb file on the skype site this is not for ppc. does anyone know if there is a package for debian ppc available?

Yahoo! Photos ? NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo.