Re: popup / zeroconf and im

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 11:20:22PM +0000, anthony iles wrote:
> I work a lot with mac users, we've been trying to send messages over a LAN,
> they seem to have trouble using a winpopup type client. Instead I've been
> trying  other options like zeroconf/rendezvous - it appears that rendezvous
> (apple) has been open sourced but I can find any accurate information as to
> whether there is a way of connecting linux and  macs over this protocol.

Avahi is an MDNS Service discovery framework for linux (Basically what apple
calls 'Rendezvous', 'Bonjour'). What you want is basically an IM client that
can announce it's precense via this protocol (and ofcourse communicate with
other clients announcing themselves)

While i'm not a big fan of Gaim, i know there has been some work in adding
something like that to it. Which basically should make it compatible with
iChat's bonjour functionality. Now i don't know if it was ever finished, but it
should be a nice start for further googling :)

  Sjoerd
--
An anthropologist at Tulane has just come back from a field trip to New
Guinea with reports of a tribe so primitive that they have Tide but not