Re: sudden power loss (WAS: sudden power loss on tibook)

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 22:02 -0600, Tommy Trussell wrote:

> On 11/30/05, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
>         I've been reviving my old wallstreet, I'll try to reproduce
>         the
>         shutdowns. Any specific action/load that tend to trigger them
>         more
>         often ?
>
> The bad news ... the only consistent thing is it ONLY happens when I
> am actively using the computer, such as composing a gmail web-email
> message in Firefox, or typing a document in OpenOffice. I have to be
> using the keyboard and trackpad actively.

Ok, so you are generating ADB activity but not much CPU activity, thus
it's probably not thermal control related, but more likely an issue with
the PMU, possibly with the PMU driver.

> When it's sitting around compiling or transferring data or running a
> screen saver it never fails. And worse than that, there's no
> particular combination that seems to set it off. CPU load MAY be a
> factor, but RAM does not seem to be -- my system has plenty of RAM and
> nothing ever goes to swap.

Do you occasionally see weird Oopses or apps segfaulting  or is this
your only problem ? I wonder if it could be bad RAM, though I doubt it.

> I have hdparm.conf spindown_time=12 (which is 60 seconds) because I
> don't want to wear out or heat up the little notebook drive. So my
> system never really gets hot.
>

> MY system (apparently nobody else's) only shuts down when pbbuttonsd
> 0.7.1 is running.

pbbuttons is continuously sending commands to the PMU, thus it really
points to a possible issue with the PMU driver, though I'm surprised as
I never had any problem of that sort on any of my laptops.

> Today I had a sudden shutdown using the 2.6.11-1-powerpc kernel from
> the Ubuntu Hoary "universe" repository. It shut down just after I had
> saved a document in OpenOffice2.(Opera and Firefox were open, but they
> had been open used and unused for several hours.OpenOffice writer had
> been running for 45 minutes or so while I composed and printed several
> letters.)
>
> I never had the shutdowns until I upgraded from Ubuntu Hoary to
> Breezy, but I have not yet successfully reinstalled the
> 2.6.10-5-powerpc kernel I was using under Hoary. But I'm going to try
> again...

Ok, thanks.

Ben.