Re: sudden power loss (WAS: sudden power loss on tibook)

On 11/30/05, Michael Schmitz <schmitz@zirkon.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> P.S. I've looked and even though lsmod says it has loaded several cpufreq
> modules, there are no nodes for them in /proc/.  I'm going to download and
> try an earlier kernel to see what it USED to do... (My apologies for not
> doing that earlier.)

Neither explicit fan control nor CPU frequency switching are expected to
work om Wallstreet or Lombard models - I used to have a Lombard and the
fan never kicked in there, either.

I know this may not apply to the current thread but I want to be clear here ... I gather there's no explicit kernel CONTROL over the Wallstreet Powerbook fans, but I know they DO come on (or HAVE). Under the kernels in Debian Testing up to mid 2004 as well as under all the 2.6.x kernels in Ubuntu (until possibly 2.6.12) my fan would kick in when I was compiling something or if the room had gotten warm (85 degrees Fahrenheit / 30 degrees Celsius).

On my PowerBook I have never run Mac OS X, but linux does run cooler than Mac OS 9.x, so I'm not especially surprised I haven't heard my fan run, but (as with the random shutdowns) it would be nice to have a test so I know they DO come on.