Re: sudden power loss (WAS: sudden power loss on tibook)

On 11/30/05, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
I've been reviving my old wallstreet, I'll try to reproduce the
shutdowns. Any specific action/load that tend to trigger them more
often ?

The bad news ... the only consistent thing is it ONLY happens when I am actively using the computer, such as composing a gmail web-email message in Firefox, or typing a document in OpenOffice. I have to be using the keyboard and trackpad actively.

When it's sitting around compiling or transferring data or running a screen saver it never fails. And worse than that, there's no particular combination that seems to set it off. CPU load MAY be a factor, but RAM does not seem to be -- my system has plenty of RAM and nothing ever goes to swap.

I have hdparm.conf spindown_time=12 (which is 60 seconds) because I don't want to wear out or heat up the little notebook drive. So my system never really gets hot.

MY system (apparently nobody else's) only shuts down when pbbuttonsd 0.7.1 is running.

Today I had a sudden shutdown using the 2.6.11-1-powerpc kernel from the Ubuntu Hoary "universe" repository. It shut down just after I had saved a document in OpenOffice2.(Opera and Firefox were open, but they had been open used and unused for several hours.OpenOffice writer had been running for 45 minutes or so while I composed and printed several letters.)

I never had the shutdowns until I upgraded from Ubuntu Hoary to Breezy, but I have not yet successfully reinstalled the 2.6.10-5-powerpc kernel I was using under Hoary. But I'm going to try again...