Re: sudden power loss (WAS: sudden power loss on tibook)

> > > Hrm... never happen on any of the machines I have around here.
> > >
> > > Could it be related to the temperature ?

> on my PowerBook6,8 it
> > only happend when the fan had spinning at full speed for some time (due to
> > high
> > CPU usage, so it was ok that the fan was spinning so fast). I considered
> > this
> > a feature of the firmware (?) that did some emergency stop once the fans
> > weren't
> > able to do their job successfully anymore. But I should add that it was
> > rather
> > the fan spinning too much than the high temperature as it also occured
> > while
> > experimenting (lowering) the settings of the therm_adt746x-module.
> >
> > Could somebody confirm similar behaviour or is my note completely
> > unrelated to
> > your problems?

That might just be the kernel spinning in a tight loop, thus raising the
temperature If this is the thermostat module starting the fans, I'd say
the kernel still receives interrupts as it should. Can the thermostat
itself turn on the fans without kernel intervention, Ben?

> My Wallstreet II does not seem to use any therm* module at all.
>
> I'm digging around trying to learn how the temperature control is supposed
> to work on this model ... so far the fans have not come on since I upgraded,
> but I keep this room at 65-70 degrees F (18-21 degrees C) and when I do a
> cat /proc/cpuinfo I have not seen it report any higher than 57 degrees C.
>
> Regardless, I'm not sure why my fan never runs, except that I'm always
> careful to tell hdparm to spin down the drive. (Which of course could also
> explain why I never see a logged message when the power shuts off.)
>
> P.S. I've looked and even though lsmod says it has loaded several cpufreq
> modules, there are no nodes for them in /proc/.  I'm going to download and
> try an earlier kernel to see what it USED to do... (My apologies for not
> doing that earlier.)

Neither explicit fan control nor CPU frequency switching are expected to
work om Wallstreet or Lombard models - I used to have a Lombard and the
fan never kicked in there, either.

	Michael