Re: sudden power loss (WAS: sudden power loss on tibook)

On 11/29/05, Michael Tautschnig <michael.tautschnig@zt-consulting.com> wrote:
[...]
> Hrm... never happen on any of the machines I have around here.
>
> Could it be related to the temperature ?

on my PowerBook6,8 it
only happend when the fan had spinning at full speed for some time (due to high
CPU usage, so it was ok that the fan was spinning so fast). I considered this
a feature of the firmware (?) that did some emergency stop once the fans weren't
able to do their job successfully anymore. But I should add that it was rather
the fan spinning too much than the high temperature as it also occured while
experimenting (lowering) the settings of the therm_adt746x-module.

Could somebody confirm similar behaviour or is my note completely unrelated to
your problems?

Regards,
Michael

BTW (might have been discussed before): Are you all using the therm_adt746x
module?

My Wallstreet II does not seem to use any therm* module at all.

I'm digging around trying to learn how the temperature control is supposed to work on this model ... so far the fans have not come on since I upgraded, but I keep this room at 65-70 degrees F (18-21 degrees C) and when I do a cat /proc/cpuinfo I have not seen it report any higher than 57 degrees C.

Regardless, I'm not sure why my fan never runs, except that I'm always careful to tell hdparm to spin down the drive. (Which of course could also explain why I never see a logged message when the power shuts off.)

P.S. I've looked and even though lsmod says it has loaded several cpufreq modules, there are no nodes for them in /proc/.  I'm going to download and try an earlier kernel to see what it USED to do... (My apologies for not doing that earlier.)