Re: Ibook on debian

On (26/07/05 18:01), Marco Guidetti wrote:
> On Jul 26, 2005, at 4:23 PM, Clive Menzies wrote:
>
> >Many people including me have been using KDE on powerpc sid (and Gnome
> >as well, I suspect).  Why do you say they are unusable?
>
> 'cause when i try
>
> #apt-get install kde
>
> i get error messages saying that this or that packages (can check if
> you find it useful) is not installable. That happened the first time
> trying to install debtags-edit (and the uninstallable package was
> libgtkmm-2.4-1 for what i remember, so it can be wrong), just a minute
> before installing kde.

You may be well aware of this but for the sake of the archive:

I suggest maintaining sid with aptitude and install apt-listbugs. ie.

# aptitude update
# aptitude upgrade
# aptitude install xxxx etc

then when you hit a dependency problem or open bugs that may cause a
problem, you can abandon the update or install and go into aptitude
interactively:

# aptitude

you will then be able to adjust what gets upgraded or 'held'.

see: man aptitude

For me, who can't afford the downtime of dealing with a broken system,
it's allowed me to run sid without a problem for the last 18months.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...