Re: Ibook on debian

On Jul 26, 2005, at 4:23 PM, Clive Menzies wrote:

>Many people including me have been using KDE on powerpc sid (and Gnome
>as well, I suspect).  Why do you say they are unusable?

'cause when i try

#apt-get install kde

i get error messages saying that this or that packages (can check if
you find it useful) is not installable. That happened the first time
trying to install debtags-edit (and the uninstallable package was
libgtkmm-2.4-1 for what i remember, so it can be wrong), just a minute
before installing kde.

>It may be that something is pending transition to sid (xorg is replacing
>xfree86) and holding you up.  In which case, you can either wait a few
>days or find another solution which may involve installing the etch
>version of Gnome or KDE until the dust settles

i have installed xorg, and it works. :)

>I haven't updated my G4 recently (it's not my main workstation) but on
>amd64, I updated to xorg a couple of days ago and all seems fine.  I
>don't know about KDE/Gnome, I use xfce4.2.

i have here only x86 'puters with debian except this ibook, and all is
working fine, i thought it was an issue related to ppc... :)

thank you anyway :)

marco