Re: ppc64 kernel?

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 12:35:27AM +0100, Paul Brossier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your reply Sven.
>
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:38:45PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > >
> > > strange, it worked for me on a powermac g5. isn't it one of these
> > > uninorth one?
> > >
> > > Sven, a few questions, sorry they all came in a row :-)
> > >
> > > - could you enable GONFIG_PM72 in the -pseries so powermac can have fan
> > >   support? (it seems Arnór's xserve uses something else then)
> >
> > Try out the new 2.6.12 and comment, i think i disabled PM72 because it failed
> > to build or something.
>
> tested it, see my comments following your most recent thread.

Yep, thanks, i had expected positive results though, but well.

> > > - no kernel-headers-2.6.11-power{3,4}{,-smp} in unstable?
> >
> > Nope, power3/4 is going away, see other email.
>
> even though, it is really annoying to run a kernel you don't have
> headers for, since it prevents any sort of module being build. actually
> i found it surprising that uploading a kernel-image without the headers
> along is at all possible.

The 2.6.11-pseries kernels did come with full modules support stuff though.

> > > - how do i compile a 64bit kernel using a 32 bit kernel? (i could
> > >   compile using your pseries kernel and in a ppc64 chroot)
> >
> > there is explicit instructions on how to do that, but right now you just need
> > to install the ubuntu glibc and gcc-4.0 packages, and everythign should be
> > fine. I hope the debian toolchain guys get their act together pretty soon, and
> > we should get a biarch compiler in august or so.
> >
> > see http://people.debian.org/~luther/ppc64/PPC64.README for details.
> >
> > (installer stuff is broken and needs to be fixed though).
>
> ok, i will read that. i was wondering, isn't there some overlap between
> your work and Andreas Jochens work on the ppc64 port?

Well, if so, probably the other way around, but the ppc64 effort of Andreas is
the wrong direction. They are forking debian and misusing the alioth effort
like the amd64 people did, and for something which implies a performance hit,
(or so the IBM linux guys tell me, never tested it myself obviously), and
futhermore, they have made no particular effort to connect to the debian
people, and are proposing patches around to packagers, which may be
counter-productive, speaking as "THE" ppc64 effort guys, disregarding that
many devels are actively working to bring ppc64 to debian.

Friendly,

Sven Luther