Re: ppc64 kernel?

Hi,

thanks for your reply Sven.

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:38:45PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 03:24:11AM +0100, Paul Brossier wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 02:12:43PM +0000, Arnór Kristjánsson wrote:
> > > I installed this but the network doesn't work. Any ideas?
> >
> > strange, it worked for me on a powermac g5. isn't it one of these
> > uninorth one?
> >
> > Sven, a few questions, sorry they all came in a row :-)
> >
> > - could you enable GONFIG_PM72 in the -pseries so powermac can have fan
> >   support? (it seems Arnór's xserve uses something else then)
>
> Try out the new 2.6.12 and comment, i think i disabled PM72 because it failed
> to build or something.

tested it, see my comments following your most recent thread.

> > - no kernel-headers-2.6.11-power{3,4}{,-smp} in unstable?
>
> Nope, power3/4 is going away, see other email.

even though, it is really annoying to run a kernel you don't have
headers for, since it prevents any sort of module being build. actually
i found it surprising that uploading a kernel-image without the headers
along is at all possible.

> > - how do i compile a 64bit kernel using a 32 bit kernel? (i could
> >   compile using your pseries kernel and in a ppc64 chroot)
>
> there is explicit instructions on how to do that, but right now you just need
> to install the ubuntu glibc and gcc-4.0 packages, and everythign should be
> fine. I hope the debian toolchain guys get their act together pretty soon, and
> we should get a biarch compiler in august or so.
>
> see http://people.debian.org/~luther/ppc64/PPC64.README for details.
>
> (installer stuff is broken and needs to be fixed though).

ok, i will read that. i was wondering, isn't there some overlap between
your work and Andreas Jochens work on the ppc64 port?

cheers, piem