Re: 2.6.12 debian powerpc kernels and ppc64 ...

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 12:36:47AM +0100, Paul Brossier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:04:17PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like testers who want to test new powerpc kernels on ppc64 machines :
> >
> > These i have uploaded here :
> >
> >   http://people.debian.org/~luther/ppc64/kernel-image-2.6.12-sven_1_powerpc.deb
> >   http://people.debian.org/~luther/ppc64/kernel-image-2.6.12-sven64_1_powerpc.deb
> >
> > They are built out of the 2.6.12 debian kernel subversion package, but built
> > with the ubuntu glibc and gcc-4.0 packages which do support biarch, something
> > we don't (yet) have in debian.
> >
> > sven is the powerpc flavour, and sven64 is the new pseries flavour which is
> > smp, and which will replace all the power3, power3-smp, power4 and power4-smp
> > flavours. (and yes, we are killing the non-smp versions of those kernels).
>
> cool. i tried sven64 on a powermac 7,2 without success. the early printk
> (ugly) black lines stop at:

Oh, well, did the ppc64 2.6.11 kernels i provide work there ?

> smp_core99_setup_cpu 0 done
> Linux ppc64
>
> 2.6.12-sven64

Can i have a bit more context ? The full log would be welcome. BenH can you
comment on this ?

> nothing much happens then, except the fan starts blowing full speed, and
> then the machine reboots.
>
> also, it would be nice to provide the kernel-headers too, so we can
> compile -modules packages. and would the packages be named -sven?

Yeah, yeah, it was just a quick build, the rest of the stuff is coming, and
the flavour name will be -pseries.

> and yes, it would also be important to distribute the source package of
> this kernel-image, and fully describe what steps were needed to build it
> (buildinfo.gz is rather short on this atm).

Hehe, yes, i believe so, the source is in the debian kernel svn repo right
now, Well, actually to create those, i just took the pruned patched debian
source package out of the above repo, and ran make-kpkg on it, with the ubuntu
glibc and gcc-4.0 installed, nothing much more. You need kernel-package 9.0002
though, or a patched version.

> > Later will follow a pseries-power4 flavour which optimizes for power4 (no idea
> > if this brings something or not though), as well as a legacy-iseries flavour,
> > for pre-power5 iseries machines, if anyone has access to one of those, please
> > contact me and see if we can arrange some testing of stuff and such.
>
> ready for testing if a dual ppc970 is of any interest here.

Sure, but you would want pseries and pseries-power4, the legacy-iseries
variant is not for you though, and as i know nobody who has one and can do the
testing, i am only somewhat keen on producing an image nobody will use.

Friendly,

Sven Luther