Re: Debian as only OS on a PowerBook G3

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 07:54:54PM +0200, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Now I'm completely stuck. I tryed to install debian woody on a PowerBook
> G3. The think worked well until I tryed to boot the new OS. All I tryed
> did not help booting from the HD.
>
> The Technical:
> - PowerBook G3 (black case)
> - OldWorld MAC
> - 20 GB HD
> - Partitionated with first partition / (including /boot)
> - Bootloader quik
>
> The first strange was that ofpath shows /pci/mac-io/ata0/ata-disk where
> the system only has a /pci/mac-io/ata0/disk@0,0 at openfirmware. Next
> funny was that I could only access the firmware AFTER installing linux
> not bevore.
>
> Now the important: If I do a "dev /pci/mac-io/ata0/disk@0,0" followed by
> an "words" I get NO words. So it do not wonder why boot ata0/disk@0,0:2
> give an "can't OPEN".

Yes, I think this means there's no disk there. Are you sure it's an ATA
disk? I have a SCSI one and boot from scsi/sd. During installation did it
use hda or sda?
Try "devalias" and check for other disk with "words" like you did above.

> Is there any I can do to let this mac boot into linux? Maybe there is a
> way to create a bootdisk? The installation menu says that is not
> supportet. But the installation starts from the floppy so it must be
> possible to boot the normal system from floppy too.

You can boot from the installation disk, go through the first couple of
screens, and in the menu scroll down to "execute a shell". From there
maybe you can identify your disk.

--
Martin
30 years from now GNU/Linux will be as redundant a term as UNIX/MERT is