Re: 2.6.12 debian powerpc kernels and ppc64 ...

Hi Sven

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:04:17PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like testers who want to test new powerpc kernels on ppc64 machines :
>
> These i have uploaded here :
>
>   http://people.debian.org/~luther/ppc64/kernel-image-2.6.12-sven_1_powerpc.deb

At least the latter one works here. Or at least it boots here without any probs,
as it seems .. :

$ uname -a
Linux debby 2.6.12-sven #1 Fri Jul 15 13:44:26 UTC 2005 ppc GNU/Linux

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu             : 7455, altivec supported
clock           : 867MHz
revision        : 0.2 (pvr 8001 0302)
bogomips        : 865.18
machine         : PowerBook3,5
motherboard     : PowerBook3,5 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
detected as     : 80 (PowerBook Titanium IV)
pmac flags      : 0000001b
L2 cache        : 256K unified
memory          : 768MB
pmac-generation : NewWorld

But how come this kernel still does not have the necessary patches
applied to run kismet:

Please look at this:

$ sudo kismet
Server options:  none
Client options:  none
Starting server...
Suid priv-dropping disabled.  This may not be secure.
No specific sources given to be enabled, all will be enabled.
Enabling channel hopping.
Enabling channel splitting.
Source 0 ("HERMES I"): Enabling monitor mode for orinoco source interface eth0 channel 11...
Waiting for server to start before starting UI...
FATAL: Could not find 'monitor' private ioctl or use the newer style 'mode monitor' command.  This typically means that the drivers have not been patched or the correct drivers are being loaded. See the troubleshooting section of the README for more information.

I need packages like kismet urgently to set up a small WLAN here: The
docs on doing that (WLAN set-up) that I found so far are so lousy (to
put it very mildly) that I don't know what I could do without packages
like kismet that help me to scan and, following that, set-up my wi-fi
hardware correctly.

And if we're already at it: I don't need initrd. So with all due
respect to your precious work: If you want me to test pre-rolled
kernel.debs please make sure they're made without initrd: I can't see
why initrd should be necessary on a little home net: It only makes
things more complicated than they already are. AFAIKS.

And please enable the blink-LED for disk activity:

grep -i blink /boot/config-2.6.12+orinoco-patched
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_PMAC_BLINK=y

grep -i blink /boot/config-2.6.12-sven
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_PMAC_BLINK is not set

Sorry folks: I really know you saved my ass once with one of these
pre-rolled ones:

<http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2005/01/thrd2.html#00524>

And that's why I'm still ready to test your work if necessary: But
if you want me to run that kernel for more than 2 hours I need it
being useful for me ...

Thanks for listening, and for your work ... :)

Best Regards
Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer