Re: 2.6.12 debian powerpc kernels and ppc64 ...

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:04:17PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like testers who want to test new powerpc kernels on ppc64 machines :
>
> These i have uploaded here :
>
>   http://people.debian.org/~luther/ppc64/kernel-image-2.6.12-sven_1_powerpc.deb
>   http://people.debian.org/~luther/ppc64/kernel-image-2.6.12-sven64_1_powerpc.deb
>
> They are built out of the 2.6.12 debian kernel subversion package, but built
> with the ubuntu glibc and gcc-4.0 packages which do support biarch, something
> we don't (yet) have in debian.
>
> sven is the powerpc flavour, and sven64 is the new pseries flavour which is
> smp, and which will replace all the power3, power3-smp, power4 and power4-smp
> flavours. (and yes, we are killing the non-smp versions of those kernels).

cool. i tried sven64 on a powermac 7,2 without success. the early printk
(ugly) black lines stop at:

smp_core99_setup_cpu 0 done
Linux ppc64

2.6.12-sven64

nothing much happens then, except the fan starts blowing full speed, and
then the machine reboots.

also, it would be nice to provide the kernel-headers too, so we can
compile -modules packages. and would the packages be named -sven?

and yes, it would also be important to distribute the source package of
this kernel-image, and fully describe what steps were needed to build it
(buildinfo.gz is rather short on this atm).

> Later will follow a pseries-power4 flavour which optimizes for power4 (no idea
> if this brings something or not though), as well as a legacy-iseries flavour,
> for pre-power5 iseries machines, if anyone has access to one of those, please
> contact me and see if we can arrange some testing of stuff and such.

ready for testing if a dual ppc970 is of any interest here.

otherwise i fail to see what the following rants bring in. i understand
that you are quite disappointed, but surely debconf is a good place to
discuss the three topics you raise here, rather than enumerate who has
no time and discussing how people think about the severity of their
packages. the three issues are:

  1. upload of the biarch toolchain
  2. ppc64 kernel patches (needs 1.)
  3. machines in the wild (could probably go to -project)

and certainly deserve their own thread/bugreport/whatelse.

bye, paul