Re: Hibernating Powerbook5,6

Matthew Denner wrote:
> I'm wondering if the 2.6.12 kernel supports hibernation
> (suspend-to-disk) on a Powerbook5,6 machine?  I'm running Gentoo, but
> can't find any information on it for that distro, and was wondering if
> I'm wasting my time.  If it does can someone point me at what I need to
> do (I've enabled CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND, added the
> "resume2=swap:/dev/hda3" to the kernel boot parameters, and installed
> the hibernate-script package) as it doesn't seem to find the suspended
> image on boot.  I seem to remember someone mentioning some patches but
> can't find the email.

Ok, so it's 'resume=/dev/hda3' for the kernel parameter!

However, once it boots a suspended session (I did 'hibernate' from a
console without X running) the screen is all messed up.  I tried
switching between the consoles but that didn't help; I tried shutting
the lid (which should suspend to RAM) and that didn't do anything; then
I tried logging in as root and typing 'reboot' (without being able to
see anything I was typing) and that rebooted fine.

I ssh'd in from another machine and the Powerbook is in the same state
as when I suspended it (i.e. my user is logged in).  I tried 'chvt 1'
and various other numbers but that didn't recover the screen.  I tried
running a suspend-to-ram manually and that didn't do anything either.

So the system is there, I just can't see it!

Matt