On understanding Re: Apple's Developer Transition Kit

On Jun 10 2005, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> I suppose I could still try to write a document giving an overview of how
> the thing is setup.

I suppose that a document would have a much more long-lasting effect than a
talk and would also be able to reach people that aren't able to attend
congresses. This way, getting more people to help with Linux on PPC would
be nice.

And, even though Macs are quite possibly the most visible use of PPC chips,
the embedded market uses it, AFAIK. Understanding how the architecture
works would be mostly welcome and a brand new kind of developers could be
created to help you with smaller issues where you won't want to waste your
time.

IMO, that would be awesome.

If you intend to write a long document, perhaps you could break it up into
parts that you could send to IBM DeveloperWorks (perhaps with them creating
a new column with this in mind) and when all the articles are finished,
glue together the articles (if you need a monkey to do that, just let me
know).

I don't know how much interested IBM would be in that. But it would sure be
a good addition to anybody's resumé (like if you needed this, but), not to
mention as an introduction for many people to work with lower level things
(I have never worked with things in low level -- except when I was trying
to understand how to write a C version for the linearblend deinterlacer for
my xine running on my iBook).

BTW, I still would like to devote some time to see if I can come up with
improvements to the point where xine would be able to play a DVD under
Linux on my iBook without too many frames being dropped (it's been quite a
while since I last played with that).

Thanks, Rogério.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/