Re: Powerbook G3 Pismo - resolution change problem

>> First, isn't (PB G3 Firewire)==(PB G3 Pismo)?
>
> Don't think so, but I could have gotten that wrong in my head.

It is - the Pismo (Y2K powerbook, last "black powerbook") IS the PB G3
firewire - I'm typing this on one right now :)  It is the only G3 PB
with Firewire.  Everything before had SCSI, and all later powerbooks
have G4 CPUs.

>> Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, but before I removed mac os (9)
>> from my laptop's hdd, there was some nifty little panel applet
>> there that allowed me to change the resolution to a lower one,
>> and it did in fact change it. Same thing with games on that mac.
>> Or is it faulty eprom in my head?
>
> With my machine here, I've never been able to change the resolution
> from 1024x768. Before I upgraded to 10.2, I ran 9.x. When I used the
> 'panel applet' to change the resolution, it would always stay in
> 1024x768, but center the 800x600 or 640x480 and the 'unused' pixels
> would look like a black border.

I can't speak for OS 9 as it's been years since I used it on this PB,
but even now, under OS X 10.3, when you select 640x480 or 800x600, you
use all the pixels (i.e. the entire LCD area) - the 1024 x 768 pixels
are interpolated, so the LCD shows just 640x480 or 800x600 worth of
info.  But it does use the entire LCD area - there is no dark border
of unused pixels.

I don't know if the smoothing is done in the graphics hardware, driver
or the OS itself though.  But lower, "full screen" resolutions are
possible ...  They just don't look as nice...

cheers
vinai