Re: Powerbook G3 Pismo - resolution change problem

On Mon, 16 May 2005 13:41:53 +0200
Wojciech Owczarek <owczi@owczi.net> wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I'm not a Debian user (PLD Linux user actually), still I subscribed to this
> list as I found it quite valuable for helping with my various PPC on Linux
> issues. Now my problem (hopefully the last one ;] ) with the laptop I own
> from some time (my first ppc machine and I love it!) is what follows:
>
> I'm running a 2.6.11 kernel, compiled from Debian package sources (nicely
> patched, I like it). I went through various problems with my laptop - like
> the one when I could not use an external monitor - I found a patch that saved
> me here on this list.
>
> This machine, as you probably know, is packed with an Ati Rage Mobility 128
> M3, so I'm using the aty128fb driver. Now somewhere at Gentoo I found a patch
> for X.Org sources that finally allowed me to use DRI on it.
>
> I now have this last issue - I cannot use any other resolution on the LCD
> screen than 1024x768 (on an external CRT it's all fine). An attempt to change
> it to anything else makes my LCD shows some fading garbage. The machine is
> still responding, I can switch back to 1024x768 and work with no problems,
> yet I cannot use any other res, which quite sucks cause the computer isn't
> enough powerfull to allow me watch DVDs or play games smoothly on the max
> resolution.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> owczi

Hi,

As far as know, the Pismo, like my G3 Powerbook Firewire running the same card,
has only one resolution; 1024x768. When you run MacOS, when you ask it
to go to a lower resolution, it just reduces your desktop space on the screen.
It never changes the resolution.

HTH,
-M.