Re: Powerbook5,6 longer list of what does not work...

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 20:26 +0100, Gabriel Paubert wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 10:58:50AM -0500, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 10:17 +0100, Gabriel Paubert wrote:
> > >
> > > Wouldn't it be better to treat the Fn key like an additional modifier
> > > for "cramped" (i.e., notebook) keyboards, even on ADB?
> >
> > Don't ADB keyboards handle it entirely in hardware?
>
> No. Look at drivers/macintosh/adbhid.c:
> - it is ADB keycode 0x3f.
> - The kernel keeps its state and uses it, among other
> things, to modify the keycode of the Delete key.
>
> In the MacOS keyboard application it follows immediately
> your keypresses (unlike the hardware NumLock AFAIR).

Well, the keyboard does handle a lot of it in HW. I only added a couple
of things in the driver, like fn-backspace or fn-alt (in fact, some of
them are also done in the driver in MacOS X).

It seems that the USB one is doing the entire stuff in software which is
a completely different scenario.

On a different note: I've seen a hacked trackpad driver for OS X that
implement the 2-finger scrolling with our current trackpads; and other
niceties. Basically, I found some interesting details about the
additional data the trackpad sends, like wether you haev 2 fingers,
wether you are in the center zone or the border zone, etc... that can be
used to implement various interesting features.

Ben.