Re: Orinoco Dirver with monitor support

Am Dienstag 8. März 2005 01:52 schrieb Eric Gaumer:
> Rainer Gutkas wrote:
> > Hi everybody!
> >
> > I used the whole day today in getting orinocco drivers to work with
> > monitoring mode support. After hours of reading and looking in the web
> > for howto's I ended up to try to compile orinoco 0.13 standalone drivers.
> > The installation manual said to get the kernel source (which I did), also
> > got the headers and tried to compiled the drivers.
> >
> > The howto said its pretty easy: > make
> >
> >          > make install
> >
> > But the make exited with the message :
> >
> > Make:35: **** The kernel source is not configured. Schluss.
> >
> > As if I would know how to configure a kernel source? I guess it's some
> > kind of enviroment variable. But I actually don't know and haven't had
> > much succsess on the web.
> > By the way I'm using Kernel 2.6.8 (precompiled which sarge installed).
> > I also tried to uncompress the sources, but that didn't help.
> >
> > Anybody got a hint for me that could help me?
>
> The drivers are kernel code so they need to build against some of the
> kernel source. You can install the kernel-headers package for 2.6.8 or
> (since you have the kernel source) just config the kernel sources. The
> config generates some files needed to build the drivers.
>
> Just run 'make menuconfig' from inside the kernel source tree. This should
> create the version.h and a few other files you need. Before you do this
> copy the config-2.6.8 from /boot to the kernel source directory so that it
> configured for the proper architecture and such.
>
> Keep in mind that the drivers (orinoco) won't work in monitor mode unless
> your firmware (Agere) is < 8.x but there is an older patch floating around
> that seems to work regardless of what firmware version you have.
>
>  -Eric
> --
> "Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in
> school." - Albert Einstein

Thanks for your fast reply, I tried it, but it actually doesn't solve the
problem. Afterwards I tried to compile the kernel with:

make oldconfig
make
I didn't wan't to install the new compiled kernel with make install...Never
change a running system.

But it didn't help ether. I just can't compile the new drivers to afterwards
copy them to apropriate directory.

So my request again if anybody got Orinoco standalone monitoring wireless
drivers compiled for PPC and Kernel 2.6.8 could you please email them to me?

Thanks!

Rainer
--
Rainer Gutkas Bakk. Techn.