Re: initrd?

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:03:21AM -0500, vze26m98 wrote:
> Mike Small wrote on 3/1/05:
>
> >Not difficult at all, I just changed back to a standard debian kernel
> >with initrd myself.  Below is my new yaboot.conf entry and the old one.
> >The option is documented in the yaboot.conf man page.
> >
> >image=/vmlinux
> >    label=Linux
> >    initrd=/initrd.img
> >    read-only
> >
> >image=/vmlinux.old
> >    label=linux.old
> >    read-only
> >
> >So you see, it's only a simple one line change.
>
> Thanks Mike-
>
> I had seen the following in a previous post to the powerpc list:
>
> >>image=/boot/vmlinux
> >>        label=Linux
> >>        read-only
> >>        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
> >>
> >>image=/boot/vmlinux.old
> >>        label=old
> >>        read-only
> >>        initrd=/boot/initrd.img.old
>
> Does it matter if I don't state the absolute path: /boot/vmlinux?  Also,
> I see that this version includes an initrd statement for the old image
> as well.  Is this unecessary?

It depends if /boot is on a separate partition or not. the path has to be from
the partition as root, and i believe yaboot is not able to follow symlinks
cross partitions like lilo is (but then, lilo resolves the symlink in the
running system and simply stores the brutal access info, namely the sector on
disk where the kernel starts and such), so the symlink should be in /boot on
powerpc.

Friendly,

Sven Luther