desktop icons and places menu

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 01:28 +0100, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 04:58:44PM -0500, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> > What I'd like is GNOME without the nonsense desktop icons. I mean,
> > really, who can ever find their desktop buried under all the apps?
> > I left a plain-fvwm setup in part because my desktop gets buried,
> > and then GNOME evolves to expect a viewable desktop!
>
> Gnome 2.10 features a places menu[0] to solve exactly this problem ;)
>
>   Sjoerd
> 0: http://www.gnome.org/~davyd/gnome-2-10/images/panel-menus-places-full.png

Cute, but I just don't get with all this GUI file management stuff.
I'm turning into an old geezer I think. I was hoping to make the
desktop just not bother to load that stuff.

GNOME developers can't seriously be eating their own dog food.
The latest stuff, especially the GTK file open dialog box,
works great for a person with 5 directories and 42 files. :-/