Re: Getting rid of hotplug & Co. for 2.6

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 19:58 +0100, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hotplug and its colleagues: I confess my lowest instincts get mobilised
> when thinking on this stuff: I slows down the whole boot process so
> much that sometimes I feel like being on a 2.2 kernel.
>
> So all I need to know: Can I run a 2.6 kernel without hal, udev and
> hotplug being installed, or with these packages being disabled at boot
> time at least?
>
> Please tell me it will work ... :)

I'm doing this right now. You pretty much have to, if you might
want to boot an older kernel from time to time.

Compile all needed features into your kernel, or explicitly load
the needed modules during boot.

Some of that new stuff is kind of broken-by-design, on purpose.
Unlike devfs, which merely had a broken implementation, udev is
unable to ensure that a device file will be there when you need it.
Devices appear whenever they do, via hotplug, meaning that you
need to run a heck of a lot of things via the hotplug system to
avoid race conditions.

On the other hand, you give up some neat new features designed
to help with hardware that varies a bit.

What I'd like is GNOME without the nonsense desktop icons. I mean,
really, who can ever find their desktop buried under all the apps?
I left a plain-fvwm setup in part because my desktop gets buried,
and then GNOME evolves to expect a viewable desktop! I managed to
make GNOME 1.x stop that sillyness, perhaps by something like
"chmod 000 /usr/bin/whatever" as root.