Debian versus custom kernel (was: Re: Linux on the Mac Mini -- Updated)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Sven Luther wrote:

>   2) you say "Build an optimized kernel". I strongly object to this
>   recomendation, and ask you to remove it from your howto. The existing debian
>   kernel should be enough for everyone, and i don't believe that you can
>   further optimize it.

I strongly disagree.  Debian's kernels are good one-size-fits-all kernels,
but they definitely lack in efficiency and perfomance speed.

The difference in speed between my custom kernels and the stock Debian
kernels is like night and day. On every architecture, my custom kernels
produce a dramatic increase in perfomance.

--
Martin-Éric Racine
http://www.iki.fi/q-funk/