Re: debian ppc64

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 18:56 -0800, David Schleef wrote:

> I can really only think of two cases where 64-bit code could be
> faster (not that it _would_ be in practise) -- 1) arithmetic on
> 64-bit types, and 2) optimized versions of strlen().
>
> All in all, I'd consider it a wash, and would not be too concerned
> about whether the system I was running was 32-bit native or 64-bit
> native.  It would bother me (slightly), however, if there were two
> versions of libraries competing for cache/RAM/disk space.

The typical biarch setup is to have 2 versions of most libs, but pretty
much everything running 32 bits by default, only specific apps that take
benefit of beeing 64 bits beeing built 64 bits...

It would be useful to use gentoo to do a more complete performance and
size comparison though, since they have both fully 32 and fully 64 bits
ppc environments.

Ben.