Re: debian ppc64

On 04-Dec-08 16:44, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 04:24:02PM +0100, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> Fully unaware that others are doing a similar effort, and without contacting
> the debian gcc, glibc and kernel folk, right ?

I did not know and I still do not know about any serious efforts to
create a native 64 bit ppc64 port besides the porting efforts of
Rafael Esp?ndola <rafael.espindola@gmail.com>. Please point me to the
appropriate places where I can find patches, packages, plans or
discussions for a native 64 bit ppc64 port.

> you are going the pure64 route, despite input that this may not be all that
> achieving much, and ignoring the problems that surrounded the amd64-pure64
> effort.
>
> I am curious about your plan, are you able to run 32bit binaries in the above
> scenario ?

I am not planning to go the original pure64 route which only supported
64 bit binaries. My plan - if I have any definite one - is to have a
native 64 bit userland, i.e. to basically compile all Debian source
packages for 64 bit powerpc64-linux.

However, it will also be possible to compile and run 32 bit powerpc-linux
binaries. This will be achieved by using the '-enable-multilib' gcc
switch and by placing the necessary 32 bit powerpc libraries in
/usr/lib32.

To some extent I have this setup already working on my own machine,
but it will take some more work to create and test proper patches for
the Debian gcc-3.4, gcc-4.0 and glibc packages to support this.

Regards
Andreas Jochens