Re: debian ppc64

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 03:31:09PM +0100, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> On 04-Dec-08 11:32, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 09:37:05PM -0200, Rafael Esp?ndola wrote:
> > > I agree that it is very important to be able to run 32 binaries, but a
> > > pure64 port is simpler and can be a good starting point for a
> >
> > Well, given that most debian powerpc people have only access to 32bit powerpc
> > machines, a pure64 port is definitively _NOT_ simpler.
>
> Maybe I misunderstand something here. You are suggesting that people
> without access to ppc64 hardware will (should?) do the ppc64 port?

Well, what do you think we have been doing ? Who do you think will add ppc64
kernels to debian, or proper compiler & glibc support ?

> This must be a joke?

Well, since the people with ppc64 hardware do their own stuff in their own
corner, without any coordination, nor thought about future debian integration,
what else is left ?

This reminds me a bit of all those debian installation tutorials out there,
whose energy would have been better gone in fixing the issues in the first
place.

Friendly,

Sven Luther