Re: debian ppc64

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 04:24:02PM +0100, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> On 04-Dec-08 15:36, Sven Luther wrote:

> > > Maybe I misunderstand something here. You are suggesting that people
> > > without access to ppc64 hardware will (should?) do the ppc64 port?
> >
> > Well, what do you think we have been doing ? Who do you think will add ppc64
> > kernels to debian, or proper compiler & glibc support ?
> >
> > > This must be a joke?
> >
> > Well, since the people with ppc64 hardware do their own stuff in their own
> > corner, without any coordination, nor thought about future debian integration,
> > what else is left ?
>
> Without access to ppc64 hardware, serious contributions to a ppc64 port
> will be nearly impossible. Any patch or package for ppc64 will have to
> be tested on a real ppc64 machine.

Bah. Thanks all the same, but you can do work and then get people with ppc64
to test it. We did that for oldworld pmac, we did that for the power3 and
power4 kernel and debian-installer, so it should work out as well here.

> I do not really know why you are repeatedly talking about "own corner" or
> "without any coordination". I am just trying to set up a native 64 bit
> ppc64 port. I am not at all sure that Debian will or should go the same
> paths I have choosen for ppc64. I am just trying to find out what
> is possible.

Fully unaware that others are doing a similar effort, and without contacting
the debian gcc, glibc and kernel folk, right ?

> I created an open project on alioth for this and I published my results
> there almost since the day I started with my porting efforts.
> Up to now this worked quite well. The experimental debian-ppc64
> package archive on alioth now has more than 50% of all Debian packages
> and it allows for debootstrapping a working chroot environment.

Do you have created a mailing list there also we could contribute to ?

> Of course, everybody is welcome to participate and/or to criticize the
> patches I am using or the paths I have choosen so far. But I hope people
> will not just say "you are doing it the wrong way" without specifiying
> what exactly should be done instead.

you are going the pure64 route, despite input that this may not be all that
achieving much, and ignoring the problems that surrounded the amd64-pure64
effort.

I am curious about your plan, are you able to run 32bit binaries in the above
scenario ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther