Re: debian ppc64

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 09:27:40PM -0200, Rafael Espíndola wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 20:51:11 +0100, Andreas Jochens <aj@andaco.de> wrote:
> > I have PowerMac G5 1800 MHz with a single processor.
> >
> > I actually started my ppc64 porting efforts because I was
> > not able to install the 32 bit Debian powerpc port on that
> > machine using the Debian installer from sarge or sid.
> > None of the Debian installer kernels even booted for me.
> > So I first installed the Gentoo ppc64 port and used
> > the Gentoo toolchain to compile the necessary Debian packages for a
> > full Debian ppc64 chroot environment. After that I used the Debian
> > chroot environment to recompile as many Debian source packages for ppc64 as
> > possible with a simple but efficient autobuilding script. Of course I
> My case is very similar. In my work there is IBM p615 and a b50.  I
> love debian and tried to install it on both. The b50 was simple, just
> recreate the iso
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=260433).
> Unfortunately the p615 does not boot with 32bits kernels and I didn't
> thought that it was possible to add a 64bits in time for sarge. So I
> (with the help of some gentoo fans) installed gentoo and started
> playing with the possibility of building debian on top of it.

No idea about the p615, but we were able to boot a power3 box into d-i, by
using a 64bit kernel with all modules builtin, and the power3 d-i initrd. Some
work about this was found here :

  http://people.debian.org/~luther/ppc64

The kernel was built using a ppc64 cross compiler though.

Friendly,

Sven Luther