Re: debian ppc64

On 04-Dec-08 20:12, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 07:38:07PM +0100, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> > I hope that you will succeed with this plan. A ppc64 kernel in sarge
> > would of course make things _much_ easier for any 64 bit porting efforts
> > regardless of the decisions which have to be made. If I can help by
> > testing kernels or tools or otherwise please let me know.
>
> Exact. what hardware do you have anyway ?

I have PowerMac G5 1800 MHz with a single processor.

I actually started my ppc64 porting efforts because I was
not able to install the 32 bit Debian powerpc port on that
machine using the Debian installer from sarge or sid.
None of the Debian installer kernels even booted for me.
So I first installed the Gentoo ppc64 port and used
the Gentoo toolchain to compile the necessary Debian packages for a
full Debian ppc64 chroot environment. After that I used the Debian
chroot environment to recompile as many Debian source packages for ppc64 as
possible with a simple but efficient autobuilding script. Of course I
had to create and use some ppc64 specific patches for this.

> > > And have you thought what this would mean for mirror space ? The pure64 amd64
> > > got already vetoed by the debian infrastucture admins, since it would kill our
> > > mirroring network, so ...
> >
> > Is 5 GB extra mirrorspace for a new port really so critical today?
>
> 5GB ? You are being extremely optimist on this one, i think. I would say more
> like 15-20, for the full archive (stable, testing, unstable, experimental).
> Also the problem is not mirrorspace, but replication bandwidth.

There will be no stable ppc64 release until 'etch' is released. The
preliminary binary debian-ppc64 package archive on alioth currently has
about 50% of the ppc64 packages from 'testing' and 'unstable' and
includes the 'Arch: all' packages. The size of this archive is 4.5 GB
now. With 100% of the packages compiled and with 'experimental' added,
it will occupy roughly 10 GB, more than  half of which will be
taken up by 'Arch: all' packages which are in the official archives anyway.
So round about 5 GB will suffice for adding testing/unstable/experimental
support for ppc64 to the official archives until 'etch' is released.

Regards
Andreas Jochens