Re: debian ppc64

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 08:51:11PM +0100, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> On 04-Dec-08 20:12, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 07:38:07PM +0100, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> > > I hope that you will succeed with this plan. A ppc64 kernel in sarge
> > > would of course make things _much_ easier for any 64 bit porting efforts
> > > regardless of the decisions which have to be made. If I can help by
> > > testing kernels or tools or otherwise please let me know.
> >
> > Exact. what hardware do you have anyway ?
>
> I have PowerMac G5 1800 MHz with a single processor.
>
> I actually started my ppc64 porting efforts because I was
> not able to install the 32 bit Debian powerpc port on that
> machine using the Debian installer from sarge or sid.

When was that, and why did you not help out making sure debian-installer
worked on your hardware ?

> None of the Debian installer kernels even booted for me.
> So I first installed the Gentoo ppc64 port and used
> the Gentoo toolchain to compile the necessary Debian packages for a
> full Debian ppc64 chroot environment. After that I used the Debian
> chroot environment to recompile as many Debian source packages for ppc64 as
> possible with a simple but efficient autobuilding script. Of course I
> had to create and use some ppc64 specific patches for this.

> > > Is 5 GB extra mirrorspace for a new port really so critical today?
> >
> > 5GB ? You are being extremely optimist on this one, i think. I would say more
> > like 15-20, for the full archive (stable, testing, unstable, experimental).
> > Also the problem is not mirrorspace, but replication bandwidth.
>
> There will be no stable ppc64 release until 'etch' is released. The
> preliminary binary debian-ppc64 package archive on alioth currently has
> about 50% of the ppc64 packages from 'testing' and 'unstable' and
> includes the 'Arch: all' packages. The size of this archive is 4.5 GB
> now. With 100% of the packages compiled and with 'experimental' added,
> it will occupy roughly 10 GB, more than  half of which will be

Well, my debmirror run gives me a 16GB size for sarge+sid, so your calculation
are completely OFF. Debian/sarge ships two full DVD isos for powerpc binaries,
which makes at least 9GB (minus 300MB or so for d-i).

> taken up by 'Arch: all' packages which are in the official archives anyway.
> So round about 5 GB will suffice for adding testing/unstable/experimental
> support for ppc64 to the official archives until 'etch' is released.

I really can't agree to that calculation. And again, the problem is not
archive space, but mirroring bandwidth.

Friendly,

Sven Luther