Re: Powerbook produces a lot more heat after kernel upgrade

Colin Leroy wrote:
On 26 Nov 2004 at 12h11, Timo Reimerdes wrote:

Hi,

Hm... I havent researched it but I said to a friend of mine about 15
minutes ago "somehow the temperature management seems to get worse". *g*
In other words - I had the same feeling. (Running Ubuntu 2.6.8.1 now -
preparing to test the sleep patch)

The fan driver never changed the way it works between its inclusion (around
2.6.2 iirc) and 2.6.10-rc2, so it's not temperature management related.

Since 2.6.10-rc2 however, it now works by incrementing fan speed step by step according to the temperature. Try it, maybe works better.

Note that the problem is most likely not related to the fan driver. The temperature is simply more or less constantly 3-4 degrees higher than before. If the temperature limit for the fan is raised, it can easily be seen than the fan doesn't affect this.

Using cpufreqd or any of the alternatives helps a bit, but only when idling obviously.

FWIW, I've tried the new fan driver and it works nicely, although it doesn't really affect the temperature that much.

/Richard

--
Imendio AB, http://www.imendio.com/